We have listed all the documents required for the Everest base camp trek from the UK. Before hiking in Nepal for EBC Trekking, you must check out this blog.
There are lots of things to consider while trekking in Nepal for 2024. You’ll need travel insurance, equipment, documents, flight options, and preparation for the Everest base camp trek.
Table of Contents
What are the Documents Necessary For EBC Trekking For UK Citizen
There are many documents required for trekking in the Everest base camp from the UK, and these are essential things to check for while a UK Citizen is planning to trek EBC.
- Passport: The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your departure date from Nepal. Passports with an expiration date of less than six months are not accepted.
- Nepal Visa: Visa can be obtained on arrival at the Tribhuwan International Airport in Kathmandu. Or you can go to (Immigration) page and fill out the details. After the embassy verifies the document, travelers must pay the ETA application online.
- Trek Card instead of TIMS: Tims is optional for trekking the Everest region, while the new card named (Trek Card) must go to this region. It helps to track trekkers and ensure their safety. Read More: Permits For Everest Base Camp Trek.
- Travel insurance: Travel insurance is necessary from your country because it’s rare to find it here. You can get travel insurance by googling while ensuring the policy covers emergency medical expenses, helicopters, and evacuation.
Beside, Other Documents To Have
- Flight Tickets: The flight tickets might be required for immigration purposes while extending the visa on arrival. You can make a copy of it, or digital documents are also a good idea.
- Itinerary and Accommodation: The printed itinerary and accommodation confirmation are provided to you by your travel agency to ensure your reservation and everything in the peak area.
- Passport-Sized Photos: The passport-sized photo is required for various purposes for other documents in Nepal, so it’s always great to have a 6-8 pp photo with you.
- Emergency Contact Number: Make sure to list contact information on your bag in case of any emergency you face. It may contain contact information, details of your embassy, travel insurance, etc.
Packing Essentials for UK Trekkers:
Packing for a trek to Nepal, especially to destinations like Everest Base Camp, requires careful consideration of the challenging terrain, varied weather conditions, and the need for essentials at high altitudes. Here’s a comprehensive list of packing essentials for UK trekkers:
- Moisture-wicking thermal tops and bottoms for warmth and sweat management.
- A fleece or down jacket is used for added warmth during cold evenings.
- Waterproof, windproof jacket and pants for protection against rain and wind.
- Lightweight, quick-drying, and comfortable trekking pants.
- Breathable and moisture-wicking for trekking during warmer days.
- Sun hat, beanie, and a buff or neck gaiter for sun protection and warmth.
- Sturdy, waterproof hiking boots with good ankle support.
- Moisture-wicking and breathable hiking socks.
- A comfortable and durable trekking backpack with sufficient capacity.
- Warm, lightweight, and suitable for cold temperatures.
- Adjustable trekking poles for stability on uneven terrain.
- A reliable headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries for early morning or late-night walks.
- Insulated, waterproof gloves for warmth and protection against cold winds.
- Travel-sized toiletries, including toothbrushes, toothpaste, and biodegradable soap.
First Aid Kit:
- Basic first aid supplies, including altitude sickness medication, pain relievers, and blister care.
- Any personal medications, along with a copy of prescriptions.
- Water purification tablets or a portable water filter.
- High SPF sunscreen for the face and body.
- UV-protective sunglasses with good coverage.
- Moisturizing lip balm with sun protection.
- Portable power bank for charging electronic devices.
- International travel adapters for charging devices.
- Lightweight and quick-drying travel towel.
- Handy for quick repairs.
It’s crucial to keep your backpack well-organized and pack your items in waterproof or water-resistant bags to safeguard them against rain and snow. Additionally, it’s recommended to seek advice from our trekking agency for any specific items required for your trek and stay updated about the weather conditions during your chosen trekking season.
Best Time to Trek Everest From UK
Many UK residents can trek to Everest base camp from mid-March to early June on their eastern break. It is the spring season in Nepal. The weather is mild, the temperature is warm, and the days are longer. The season of rhododendron flowers as they are in full bloom, adding vibrant colors to the landscape of the Everest region.
The clear skies provide a breathtaking view of the mountain Himalayan range of Everest.
Autumn is also the best time to visit Nepal if you can manage the holidays. It is also another peak season in Nepal with stable weather conditions. The temperature is moderate, and the skies are clear.
Ideal Itinerary For UK Everest Base Camp Trekker:
Day1: Arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport
The best arrival time at Kathmandu will be on the morning shift at around 3-8 am. While you can arrive anytime, the benefits of landing in the morning differ. You will get to rest at your hotel and be refreshed by 2-3 pm afternoon, and then you can start exploring the Thamel or Pashupati Nath. That can be your ideal day of arrival.
Day 02: Fly to Lukla and Trek to Phakding (2652 m/8699 ft).
The flight from Kathmandu to Lukla is an adventure, offering panoramic views of the Himalayan mountain ranges of the Everest Region. After landing, the trek will start the trekking to parking. During the trail, you will see the picturesque landscape with lush greenery, a small village, and a glimpse of the DudhKoshi River.
It will be an excellent decision to stay in parking; a bit lower altitude than Lukla also helps in the acclimatization process on the first day of the trek. WiFi and internet connections are relatively slow in the Everest region.
Day 03: Phakding to Namche Bazaar (3440 m / 11283 ft).
Day 3 of Everest base camp trekking involves significant altitude gain. During the trekking route, you’ll follow the Dudh Koshi River and cross suspension bridges, ascending stone stairs and passing through remote villages.
The trail from Phadking to Namche Bazaar provides breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains in Everest, like Thamserkhu and Kusum Kanguru. After reaching Namche Bazaar, you’ll catch the first glimpse of Mount Everest.
Day 04: Acclimatization Day – Hike to Everest View Hotel (3,962 m / 12995 ft).
Namche Bazaar is a crucial acclimation point where you’ll have at least two nights to adjust your body for higher altitude. You can even hike to Everest View Hotel on the acclimation day.
Do We Need a Guide and Porter For Everest Base Camp Trek?
Yes, Guide and Porter are necessary to keep your trekking experience good. We always say, “Hiring and Guiding isn’t an expense; it can save you from other frauds that may happen during trekking.”
Like the porter, it is necessary to acclimate properly without any extra loads while you are coming to trek from different climates and weather. Hiring a porter can take your 20kg load (10kg P/P).
Are Emergency Helicopter Rescue Available on Everest Base Camp Trekking?
The emergency helicopter rescue is available on the Everest base camp trekking during a condition. Contact My Everest Trip for your emergency helicopter rescue; we’ll take care of the rescue process while you’re trekking with our expert guide.
How many days do we need for the Everest Base Camp Trek from the UK?
From the UK, excluding your arrival and departure days, it takes 12 days to trek from Kathmandu to the Everest base camp. Meanwhile, from the UK, the approximate flight time is 12 -16 hours. In total, it takes 15 days of holidays for the Everest base camp trek from the UK.
What are the best water purification tablets During Everest Base Camp Trekking?
My Everest Trip provides the iodine purifying water tablet during your trekking. The guide will take care of the purification tablet throughout the trekking. Otherwise, the mineral water will cost you 100-500NPR, depending upon the altitude.
Where Can I Buy a Sim and Network Throughout the Trekking?
You can buy the cell or NTC sim inside the airport on your arrival. Also, buy the recharge card and enjoy the data packages available. Otherwise, you could enjoy the Everest Link or Airlink ISP throughout the route and recharge for it timely.
Everest Base Camp Trek Cost From UK?
It varies with an international travel agency; it will cost you their service charges and profits, and then they will contact the local agency for your service. They take the cut out of your money.
Hiring a local and reliable trekking agency like My Everest Trip, which has Sherpa employees and everything goes local, can save you a couple of thousand euros for the same service.